Friday, November 25, 2011

Once again with feeling - Week One

I've been collecting the weekly emails from the Jim Rohn One-Year Personal Development Program (OYPDP) since February 4. I actually started at that time, but I got hung up on the goal-setting pillar. Once I got behind, I just gave up and collected the emails. I actually look forward to them every week although I don't even read them. This was my second time starting the program.

Our last Toastmasters meeting theme was "We can do anything for a month." I decided Nov. 1 that I would work out regularly for a month. Well, that lasted a week when I developed a sinus problem that included a nagging cough. I couldn't go to the pool, so I stayed home instead. I felt rotten that I wasn't working out. It was too tempting to hang out at home and watch TV with my son. So I decided the best thing would be to get a gym membership for him so we'd go together. So far it has helped. I went yesterday alone and today with my son and worked out in the pool for a hour. It felt good yesterday to say I'd gone to the gym. Of course, I don't do it for others. I have to find my motivation.

Jim Rohn said something on the CD "The Day that Turns Your Life Around" about looking at your future. I realized that instant that I don't really look at the future. I live for today. I put off the unpleasant for tomorrow. But that's all I think about the future.

So, what now?

For a couple of weeks, I've been thinking about starting the One-Year Personal Development Program (OYPDP) again. The only way to make this happen is to make some changes so that would be more feasible. I'll try not to get hung up on something that is difficult. I'll work on it and work it out and move on. I figure if it's important, I can go back to it. Nothing is set in stone. The important thing is to move forward, NOT quit.

Pillar One - Personal Development
Week One - The invitation.
A dear friend of 40 years introduced me to Jim Rohn, Deepak Chopra, Wayne Dyer, Zig Ziglar, Earl Nightingale, and Napoleon Hill when I was newly divorced and without a clue. They have all (including my dear friend) changed my life direction. According to the OYPDP, many get the invitation and few accept it. Of those who accept it, many don't finish it. Twice, that was me. I'm hoping the Third Time's the Charm!

Personal development requires a plan. It's about association and influence, and it's about learning and education.

According to this lesson, true success is living the life you truly desire to live -- spiritually, physically, relationally, and mentally -- as you have defined it.

I'm tired of living paycheck to paycheck. I'm 59-1/2 and I figure it's time to make some major changes. It's easy to say "I should have" and think that the opportunities are over. But that's not the truth. The truth is that it's not too late to learn and grow. I have a huge library, and lots of time. Right now I'm wasting both. As of yesterday, I'm making changes. I printed the 37 lessons I have so far, put them in a 3-ring binder, and I'm ready and excited to get to it.I'm not going to do it week by week like the program was designed. I plan to do something every day. But I'm not going to stress if it slips. The important thing is that I finish.

I plan to celebrate the new me when I finish the program by taking a trip somewhere. Maybe a cruise either to the Mediterranean or from Puerto Rico to the South Caribbean. By the time I finish this program, I should be earning my Distinguished Toastmaster award. So I should be celebrating 2 BIG accomplishments in 2013.

The questions are:
Are you ready -- really ready? Are you tired of being where you are and excited to get where you want to be? -- YES!

Will you make the commitment to read? Think about one great book you have read and the changes it brought about in your life. Now imagine what this next year is going to do for you! -- "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill has helped me see the importance of thinking. Taking time to think about where I am and what might be has helped me make changes in my work life.

If personal development is whole life, then which area of your life is in the best shape? -- Spiritual, and it's not in that great shape.

Which is the worst? -- physical
Take some time to think through where you are so you can evaluate where you stand and how you are going to grow in the next year.

How disciplined are you? -- NOT at all.
Is it something you struggle with, or is it a strength of yours? -- I have absolutely NO discipline.

Which are you more focused on: intake (learning, gathering information) or output (doing, taking action)? -- Intake for sure.
We all have a bias, so to speak. The answer to this will determine how you need to make ajustments over the coming year. -- I definitely need to start taking action.

Four action points:
Write down three great books you have read and three great books you want to read. -- I've read Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, The Seasons of Life by Jim Rohn, and The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason.

Jim Rohn recommends we read the Bible or something spiritual in the morning and something on the recommended reading list every night. I'm currently reading Fleas, Biscuits, and Pump Handles by Zig Ziglar. I'll read Seven Strategies for Wealth and Happiness and Five Major Pieces to the Life Puzzle by Jim Rohn.

Take at least one tangible action to make yourself stronger in the following area that you are weakest in: physical, spiritual or mental. -- Working out at the gym 5 times a week. And I'll find a book about health to read for inspiration.

Celebrate the fact that you have accepted the invitation to go on the journey of self-growth and personal development.

No comments:

Post a Comment