Friday, March 8, 2013

Moving on with life - Toastmasters and other things.

I wrote this the end of February. It's about Toastmasters and I thought it fit in this blog better than my weight loss blog.

I have so much energy. I went from room to room putting things that had gathered around the house in their proper places (or at least in the proper room). I organized my Toastmaster stuff, filing away the manuals I completed for Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM), and organizing the manuals I'll use to work on for my next DTM. DTM isn't the end. I know several people who have 5! I'll cross the stage May 4, and I'm hoping to have several family members and friends there. I don't think it costs anything to be there for that part of the conference. It'll be at the Airport Hilton, and I can't wait! I've already paid for my conference ticket. I hope I can find the receipt! (?)

I found some paperwork in my Advanced Communicator Gold packet that got me really excited. They are training materials for 3 leadership modules. They are 90 minutes long. I'm going to see if I can incorporate them in 3 Toastmaster meetings, doing 30 minutes in each meeting. First I have to get the packets. I've been planning to teach leadership, and this is exactly what I was looking for. It's been there all along, but I never noticed them. When the student is ready, the teacher will come. How many times have I heard that, and how many times has that happened to me? As a matter of fact, when I started getting serious about earning DTM, I met someone who said just the right things to get me going. Together, we did several out of Toastmasters projects where I could practice speaking to totally unfamiliar audiences where I could complete the professional speaker speeches. I may ask him to cross the stage with me. I also want to ask the person who suggested I join Toastmasters for extra credit in 1991. I think I'll wear the dress I wore to my daughter's wedding - IF it still fits in May. It may be too big.

I've reached a couple of major goals, and I'm pretty proud of myself. I'm being pretty ruthless about taking large clothes out of my closet and getting them ready to give away. I'm keeping a top and slacks that I wore before I lost weight. As a matter of fact, they were my weigh-in clothes the first couple of months. I washed clothes earlier this evening, and I put several items in the dryer hoping they'd shrink because they are getting too big. My pants are becoming too long, so I bought some thread to hem them so I can continue to wear them a while longer.

One of my goals was to lose enough weight so my grandson could sit on my lap in the race car at Chuck E Cheese. He and I would race together with him struggling to sit on my lap and turn the steering wheel while I took care of the pedal. And I struggled to feed the baby. Now that I have a lap again, feeding him isn't as difficult.

I definitely look and feel better - even if I do say so myself. I never had this much motivation after this amount of time with any other weight loss program. I'm surprised and pleased. I've been doing this since September 7 - 6 months! Yea me!

No comments:

Post a Comment