Saturday, September 18, 2010

Over Committed Again

I tried to begin a blog about personal development 2 months ago. I was transcribing a great lesson that I wanted to share, but my MP3 player battery died. Once I got it recharged, I was so busy that I couldn't get back to it. Now it's been 2 months, and I haven't had a chance to do anything!

Work and life keep getting in the way! Truly, what kind of statement is that?

If life went in a straight line, everything would be easy. We'd know what we're supposed to be doing and when we're supposed to be doing it. Nothing would fall between the cracks, and everything would be done well and efficiently. But that's now how it works. I'm glad life isn't in a straight line. I'd probably go crazy if it was. I'm not a straight line person. My life looks like an abstract painting -- all curvy, zig-zaggy and very busy.

WHY? I have no clue. It seems that when life calms down, opportunities start presenting themselves, and I can't let them pass without at least trying to be involved.

I guess I wouldn't keep overcommitting if I didn't enjoy those opportunities.

This past Wednesday, Sept. 15, I gave a speech to a leadership workshop about effective communication. In May, when I said I'd do the talk, my schedule was clear. Then I got involved with a proposal because my boss had a vacation scheduled. And before I knew it, one thing after another started piling on me. I worked 53 hours of overtime in a 2-week period the week prior to the speech, so I couldn't practice it at all for at least a month. Luckily, I had the week before, and I polished, practiced, and prepared that last week.

When things were piling on me and I thought I'd go crazy because I couldn't relax, I kept thinking that after Sept. 15, it would all be over. The presentation went so well that day that someone followed us out the door and asked us if we'd do it for them in March at a retreat! Guess what, it started all over again!

I've been a member of Toastmasters for 19 years. This is Fall Contest season. I used to compete, but it stopped holding its appeal. But I do like to be involved in contests, either as a judge or whatever capacity I can help. I volunteered to work at our area contest as a judge. Then another email came requesting assistance, so I said I'd do that. Then ANOTHER email came with a desperate plea for help for another contest.

Yesterday at breakfast, I started thinking about the things I had to do in the next couple of weeks, and I realized I needed to write them down. I grabbed a pen and 3x3 sticky note. But, I needed a larger sheet of paper! Now I'm thinking that after the class reunion Oct 8-9, I can relax...

But, that's not true, we should be in the middle of another large proposal preparation, which means I'll probably work through Thanksgiving and Christmas.

That means that after the New Year's I'll be able to relax... ;O)

No comments:

Post a Comment