Sunday, April 3, 2011

Rest Makes Me Thoughtful

By thoughtful, I mean full of thoughts. I could have gone to sleep at 6:00 last night, but I held off until I kept falling asleep on the couch. At 9:00 I gave up and went to bed and was asleep by 9:02. I slept soundly. Since the first of the year and beyond, I've been going, going, going. I felt guilty because I hadn't talked to my dad or called my nephew about his new daughter who is still in the hospital. She was born March 21 with a hole in her heart and other complications. My dad called yesterday to make a lunch date with me for today in Kerrville, and I sent a message to my nephew to see how things were. I'll go to see them tomorrow during lunch or after work, whichever is best. They're at the Christus Santa Rosa downtown.

As I lay in bed sort of sleeping, sort of thinking (actually, thinking and snoring), my mind drifted through all parts of my life.

I realized that in my Toastmasters club, I'm the senior active member. I'm the one who's been a member the longest, and I've progressed through the communications track more than any other active member. We have a DTM (Distinguished Toastmaster), but he isn't able to attend our meetings more than twice or so a year. This means I don't have a mentor in my club. I don't have anyone to push me. Luckily, David has sort of adopted me as a protege, and he has helped me tremendously in the last 6 months. What's sad is I didn't realize until this morning that having a mentor was what was missing. Because I don't have a mentor and I've been sort of wandering around aimlessly, I feel our club has languished. We have to have someone in our club to keep things moving. I can be that catalyst, but I have to have someone helping me. I really appreciate David more than he'll ever know. At the speech contests yesterday I picked up a flyer for the Beyond Basics club. It is for advanced Toastmasters (who have achieved CC or more), and the flyer mentions some of the club's achievements: 4 Past District Governors, 9 DTMS (and counting), 9 past and current Area Governors, willing mentors, top-notch evaluations. Wow! That's just what I need. And they meet on Saturday mornings. I'll have to step out of my comfort zone and check them out. April may be a bad month for them because they meet the 1st and 4th Saturdays and we had a contest on the 1st and the 4th is the Saturday before Easter. I'll email and find out so I can get started right away.

Another thing I thought about this morning is the hole in my kitchen cabinet where a drawer should be. For some reason, the track that the drawer ran on pulled away from the wall way in the corner of the cabinet below it. I didn't realize what the problem was until it was too late. I'm thinking a wooden dowel shoved under it will keep it place. I'm meeting my dad in Kerrville, and he's going to Home Depot and Wal-Mart afterward, so I'll probably go with him to get the dowel. I'll also take the drawer to see if he can fix it for me. He's fixed another before.

My cat is getting better according to the vet. Monday night I noticed his eye was red, and by Tuesday night, it was really bad. I took him to the vet, and $353 later, we had no diagnosis, but we did have 2 ointments to put in his eyes. That's money from my fun time on the cruise! Oh well. It'll just keep me from drinking as much wine as I did before. I know where the money went the first time. It was on impulse spending on the ship and in the ports. I'll curtail that this time because I've been there before, and I know how things work.

Got to get to the yard. It looks terribly messy and needs to be trimmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment