Sunday, October 17, 2010

Get Involved

My son is always marveling at the free meals I get. It's because I'm involved and volunteer all the time. He's between jobs (has been unemployed for 9 months, and it's getting to both of us), so I took him to the main branch of the Library to sign up as a volunteer in their book store where old books are sold cheap. He'll work Thursdays from 1:00-7:00. He needs to get out of the house to do something besides visit his girlfriend and look for a job. He needs stimulating interaction. He's not getting it in front of the TV or his computer.

Because of my "civic" organizations, I've been so busy with stuff that I was meeting myself coming and going. But my activities have slowed down somewhat, and I actually have time to breathe. I'm very active with my church and Toastmasters, and they keep me pretty busy. Plus, I'm planning for retirement, which really just means when the time comes and I don't like my job anymore or I feel I can make more money doing something else.

Right now, I'm trying on different possibilities. I'd like to become a feng shui consultant, or a public speaker, or a wedding coordinator, or publish a magazine.

Plus I have an idea for a bracelet that I'd like to make and market to churches. It's sort of like the WWJD idea. It's to help you make good choices. I wanted to do this several years ago when the rubber bracelets were really popular, but I couldn't find a manufacturing contact for them until last fall. But, no one wears them anymore. So I'm looking at other possibilities.

In the meantime, I'm still publishing a bi-monthly newsletter and I do on-line newsletters for a Stampin' Up! demonstrator friend of mine, plus I sell Avon in addition to my church and Toastmasters activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment