Sunday, June 10, 2012

Naps

I love taking naps.

When I was a kid, I hated naps. Taking naps cut into my fun time. I remember some Sundays when Daddy would lay down with us to get us to fall asleep, he would be asleep before us, or maybe his snoring woke us up. These are some of my fondest memories. Even when we went to the lake on weekends, we had to take a nap. I think my mom enjoyed the peace and quiet.

As an adult, I enjoy naps. When my kids were little and they were down to take a nap, I took a nap too. My sister took that time to clean her house or catch up on chores, but NOT me. I was napping right alongside my kids. Now that I have grandkids, it's the same. I try to get them to take naps becaue I really need the time to power down, even if it is just 20 minutes. There are times when I'm the only one sleeping. My son told me that if I went to bed earlier, I wouldn't need to take a nap. He didn't realize that I LOVE taking naps. Sometime between 12:30 and 3:00, I'll droop so much that I barely make it to bed. I'm usually asleep in a couple of minutes, and I wake up anywhere from 1-2 hours later, refreshed and ready to go.

When I have something to do on Saturday or Sunday, I always try to figure out when I can take a nap. Take yesterday for example. I had a retirement brunch to attend for a friend from 11-1, and I was expected at the church about 2:00 for Altar Guild duties. I got to the church about 1:25, and tried to take a nap. When I rested my head on my arm on the back of the pew, either my head dropped or my arm fell asleep. Then I finally decided I'd use my purse as a pillow and lay down in a pew. I just got comfortable when I heard the back door to the Sacristy open. Nap time was over. Oh well, I made up for it by going to bed early after a hot, relaxing bath.

I was feeling like a freak because I don't know anyone else who likes naps. That is until I got reacquainted with an old friend. He likes naps too. Now I feel better. ;O)

No comments:

Post a Comment