Saturday, May 11, 2013

Such a Day I Had

I finally got a pickup and some muscle to move my Dad's dresser and night stands to my house this morning. I woke up at 4:29 and couldn't get back to sleep. I decided that I could make up for the sleep after we moved the furniture, so I got up and did the laundry and made a large pot of coffee.

I was just about finished with the pot when the truck arrived. There were 4 of us, so I drove the 2 other crew members to Selma. I was hyper from all the coffee.

Once we put the furiture into my garage, the moving crew became the home improvement crew, and they got to work replacing the attic vent with the louvered one we special ordered. While they were working on that, I decided to close up everything and take a nap. I hit the button to close the garage door, and that's when I noticed the board that was leaning against the track. I found out garage doors don't stop when a board is leaning against the track. It just tries to close and bends in half. DANG!

I backed the car out and tried my best to close the bent door, but it wouldn't budge. DANG!

Luckily, I had the number of the people who had fixed my garage door in the past, so I called them. They were out in an hour with a new door, and then $900 (with my 10% senior discount) and 1-1/2 hours later, it was replaced.

In the meantime, after the vent was replaced, I talked to my crew about painting the exterior of the house. They agreed to do it today. All I had to do was get 5-gallons of paint and caulk. Awesome! They took down the basketball backboard that had graced the front of my house for the past 25 years. I was shocked at the volume of bird nests that was behind the backboard. By 6:00, my house was transformed! They prepped, caulked, and painted the entire exterior of my house. They are a hardworking crew. I wasn't up to going to Home Depot again to get more trim paint, so they'll finish Tuesday night. I was so disappointed that I had to spend such a large chunk of money on something that wasn't on my list of things to do, and it could have been prevented. I'll definitely be more vigilant. The garage door guy suggested I move all the boards and tools that I have stored at that end of the garage. He said he's fixed hundreds of doors for the same reason. So, I'm not the only one!


No comments:

Post a Comment