Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My crew has been released

Believe it or not, I'm on my own for at least a month. Except for hauling off some leftover debris like the old kitchen countertop, boxes, and the old refrigerator and redoing my front porch. Then in the fall, when it's cooler, we'll reshingle my roof, fix the patio cover, and replace the fence between my house and the neighbor.

Saturday, my crew chief took care of the final touches around the house like adding the shoe moulding along the kitchen cabinets, replacing the hall door and a couple door knobs, cleaning off the back patio, and touching up some spots on the walls while his assistant and I brought in the boxes of books and filled the bookcase shelves - and I mean filled to the brim! I still have 4 boxes in the garage! Once I have the shelves in my office set up, I'll move some business-related books into my office. That will allow room for another box or 2 of books.

While the first set of books were being dusted, I decided to dust the hope chest my mom gave me when I was 15. As I was dusting, I realized I don't remember ever dusting it except with a feather duster - ever! This was probably the first time furniture polish has touched it in 46 years!

I might have to buy another bookcase or purge. My daughter votes for purging. I told her I've been collecting these books since early adulthood for my library. Her response was that all hoarders consider their stuff collections. After my crew left for the day, I went into my library and lined the books up just like I was taught when I was studying to be a librarian at San Antonio College. I can't help but go in the library and feel a sense of accomplishment. Finally, one of my longest standing dreams has come true.

Another dream was to have a baby grand piano. I've wanted one since I was a child. When I was planning this renovation, I decided this was the perfect time to get the piano, and it would go into the library. I was so excited that I started looking for pianos online and even printed out a few contenders. Then I realized I was over wanting the piano. It was a dream that will not happen. That's OK. I've realized 2 dreams - my library and Jaguar.

My daughter and my grandson visited last Saturday, and she didn't mention Empire once! 

I went around the house taking photos, but they're all blurry. I'll have to try again. I think I do better with my phone than my Canon since I dropped it. Maybe it's on the wrong setting - I'll have to find the manual and troubleshoot. I found all the before photos, and I plan to post them really soon - promise. 

There are still several boxes left to unpack, but all the heavy lifting is over. The cable box is still missing, and I haven't found the external drive that's missing. I asked Time Warner what happens if the box is gone, and they didn't have an answer. I'm paying $10 a month for that box - I guess I'd best find it.

My exercise room has a recumbent bike, a glider like the one Chuck Norris promotes, a Body by Jake (remember those?), and the Nordic Trak that I got 20 years ago. Now, it just needs me in there using everything. When I went to weigh in Thursday, I'd gained 5.2 lbs. The week before I lost 5, now I'm 0.2 heavier. Boy did I get a talkin' to! She told me that I have to get serious again, and she wanted to know when everything would be set up in the exercise room. I promised it would be this week. So, that's done. I guess she also wanted me to use at least SOMETHING.

My open house will be moved back a couple weeks. My 52-year-old sister-by-love (ex SIL) passed away Aug 23 after battling cancer for 5 years. The service was Monday, Aug 26, in Jacksonville, FL. My ex mother-in-law (Mom) asked that I visit her when my SIL's ashes are ready to be spread over the mountains. At this point, I have no idea when that will be. I think it will be a window in the middle of September. I want to see if I can sneak a visit with a friend in Atlanta while I'm in that part of the country. Timing may not be on my side, and that would be such a shame.

I talked to my neighbor about the tree that was growing in the fence line on their side, and he removed it this past weekend. We have a huge tree in the fence line that the neighbor before them didn't take care of, and it infringes on the fence and the branches that jut out in my yard are distorting my trees because they are growing away from it. I've had to pay to have large limbs removed a couple of times over the years. It's a great source of shade for the neighbor, but it's a great source of heartburn for me.

After all this work, drama, expense, and inconvenience, I love, Love, LOVE my house. I like the way it feels and looks - inside and out. I can't wait to show it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment