Thursday, July 4, 2013

Scope Creep

So far the $10K investment in my house has grown to about $18K! But, I'm going to like it A LOT when it's done! I mentioned before that my daughter said to call Empire because she doesn't like the floor -  but I do. There are a few rough spots that "we" are going to try to fix, but other than that, I'm chomping at the bit to have this end so I can live in my new house. They're finishing the floor (perimeter) today, the appliances are in, I put towels and shower curtains and new hardware in the bathrooms, clothes in my closet and dresser, linens in the linen closet, and my exercise equipment is all set up and gathering dust. Once the perimeter is finished, we can move all the furniture to the walls, and I can start filling the China cabinet and my computer armoire.

The living room furniture is back in place and I also arranged the library and my room. I still have to put the air bed in the guest room back on the floor (it's on its side currently), and figure out why all the boxes in the house don't hold things I want to unpack. For some reason, my everyday dishes and flatware have yet to make an appearance. I only have one coffee mug and 2 travel mugs. The only small plates I have are heart-shaped kid plates. 

I'm on my own until Monday. I may call Superman to help move some boxes and furniture back into the house Saturday. Next week we'll touch up some of the rough spots on the walls that appeared during the move back in, try to fix the rough spots on the floor, and hang the drapery hardware and drapes, and we'll be done! I just ordered the bookcases for the library. Of course, there's "some assembly required." My kids and I assembled an entertainment center, bookcase, and my computer armoire when they were teenagers, so I think I can handle straight forward bookcases. If not, I'm sure I can find someone to assist.

I still want to replace the ceiling fans so they all match (the electrician wants $100 for each fan + the cost of the fans - another $1,000!), fix the fence between the houses and replace my roof and patio cover. But those will have to wait until it's cooler.

For some reason, the plugs in the kitchen stopped working last night during the night, so I have an extension cord to my coffee pot. This morning, when the alarm went off at 5:30, I sleepwalked into the kitchen to turn on the coffee pot. It didn't turn on, so I tried a few combinations of timer on/coffee pot on/off. Then I realized the plug didn't work, so I carried the coffee pot to the other 2 plugs in the kitchen. They didn't work either. I had to move furniture in the garage to get to the breaker box, but it wasn't tripped. I finally took the coffee pot to a plug in the living room and put it on the floor. It worked there. I don't know what's going on. But it feels expensive ;o)

Once the kitchen countertops are installed, I'll feel like I'm home. I finally put up some curtains in the front kitchen window. I always feel a little exposed walking in there in the early morning with the light on. That's the only window with curtains. I have miniblinds in my room and the room directly across the hall from me. There's a mature crepe myrtle in front of the other street window, so I feel a bit protected.

At 11:30 this morning, I heard some police sirens and lots of talking and honking. It was our neighborhood 4th of July parade! We all took a break and waved to the people in the parade. It's been a tradition here as long as I've been in the neighborhood. I always have a front-row seat because they go right by my house. Now it sure is noisy outside with all the fireworks in a neighborhood where fireworks aren't allowed. Hmmmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment