Friday, June 8, 2012

Birthday Manifesto & CC again

I got a Happy Birthday email from a high school classmate. When I replied, this poured out of me. I have no idea where it came from, but it is what my heart has been saying for a couple of weeks:

Today I start a new decade. I'm also thinking about how I can make life better. One thing I can start to do today is to stop taking responsibility for other people's actions. Ever since I can remember, I've been responsible for other people. From watching my little sister as a child and my cousins when we were together to having children and being responsible for them. Today, I don't have anyone else to be responsible for except me! And, I plan to take that responsibility more seriously.

It's time to take care of myself first, pay myself first, treat myself first, serve myself first, and love myself most. I plan to live life fully, laugh more, love deeper, and thank God every day for this awesome life I have. It is only because of Him that I have the incredible life, family and friends that I have been gifted with.

On another note . . . I gave a speech yesterday at Wiseman. It was my last speech to complete another Competent Communicator manual. I had the speech on my desk so I could work on memorizing it. Then, when I was preparing to give it at the meeting, I realized it was still on my desk. I never have the middle of my speeches memorized, just the beginning. So, I 'fessed up and told them I'd wing it. Thank goodness there were just 3 in the audience. I did pretty well. I struggled in a couple of places, but I survived. When she held up the green card, I was shocked that I remembered enough to reach the minimum time. I actually went to the red card. I didn't get my official time, but I don't think I went over.

The first thing someone said was that I inspired her. My speech was about leading from the middle of the pack, not waiting until you are a supervisor or manager to learn how to lead. It was the 10th project, Inspire Your Audience. So I achieved my objective. I'm glad because I plan to use it as the basis for some of my "professional" speeches.

Since I didn't have my speech to hold or a lecturn to grab, I didn't know what to do with my hands. They flailed the whole time. I didn't realize how bad I was at gestures. I'll definitely have to work on that. The next time around, I won't be in a hurry. I'm trying to meet deadlines, and it's starting to show in my presentation quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment